- Clear glass bowl (you need to cover the water surface with flowers, so unless you are using big flowers, get a small bowl).
- Unbleached coffee filter paper.
- A small funnel.
- Filtered water.
- 30ml brown pre-sterilised bottle.
On a sunny day:
- Ensure you have permission from the plant to use the flowers.
- Fill your bowl about half full of water.
- Carefully pick enough flowers to cover the surface.
- Leave the bowl in full sunlight (remember the shadows move during the day), make sure it is safe from children, animals etc.
- Check with a pendulum (or intuit) how long the essence needs to be left, or leave for about 3 hours.
- When the time is up, return to your essence. Bring the essence into a safe place and remove the flowers carefully from the bowl.
- Filter the water into another clean container.
- Fill your brown bottle at least 50% with alcohol (vodka, brandy 40% proof minimum).
- Fill the remaining 50% of the bottle with your flower essence water. This bottle becomes your MOTHER ESSENCE. Label this bottle with the flower and date (and maybe the time). If you keep this in a cool place away from electrical sources, it will keep for years.
- If you have a charging space for essences, you can place the essence in it for about 12 hours.
There are two of the most generally used methods for dilution of the Mother Essence:
Put one drop of the Mother Essence into a bottle filled with alcohol or alcohol/water mix. This is often called the Stock Essence. Any further dilutions of this tend to be called dosage bottles.
Put three to seven drops from the Mother Essence into a bottle, already filled with 50% alcohol/water. This is often called the Stock Essence. Any further dilutions of this tend to be called dosage bottles.
Most essences are sold as Stock bottles, though Dosage bottles are available from some producers.